Kitchens of Yesterday


As I've worked my way through this home, I've been thinking about the kitchens. Initially what we know as the tavern would have been the kitchen, with the large cooking fireplace and beehive oven. I can see the people sitting by the fire warming themselves through the cold, harsh winter.

The beehive oven gave way to self contained iron wood stoves. We have a large cement area on the floor in our second kitchen (which was the pastry kitchen) where the stove would have been set.

Here's a link if you want to read about the evolution of stoves - it's a quick read. http://www.oldhouseonline.com/articles/history-of-the-kitchen-stove

There is evidence the the last room in the carriage house (future yoga studio), with it's multi-linoleum floor served as a kitchen for The Russian Bear. The 20 year evolution of the kitchen from 1927-1947 would have been remarkable. I kind of wish they kept all the former appliances, I would like to picture them!

I remember the stories that my grandmother told me about growing up in the city and then moving to a parsonage out in the farm country of Wisconsin. She went from indoor plumbing and electricity to a rural farmhouse with none of the amenities that she was used to. Oh how she hated it! I don't blame her! As much as I glory the gold old days - I have enough trouble cooking in a modern kitchen!


Early 1800's kitchen

1800's


Bath Time



This is a 1930's woman who can't afford a more modern stove.






Tile

White enamel, tile.


Subway tile, linoleum... I have that fridge!

There's the linoleum and the wallpaper from the 40's. This is where the Russian Bear ended it's run. This green was painted all over the house.


Comments

Popular Posts